We always need that extra oomph from our diet in winter to help ward off those multiple bugs and viruses we face, here's a healthy winter stew recipe for you:
Hearty Winter Vegetable Stew
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 parsnip, peeled and diced
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 swede/turnip, peeled and diced
- 1 cup green beans, chopped
- 1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
1. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
2. Add the chopped onion and garlic, and sauté until fragrant and translucent, about 3 minutes.
3. Add the diced carrots, celery, parsnip, sweet potato, and turnip to the pot. Cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Pour in the vegetable broth and diced tomatoes. Bring the mixture to a boil.
5. Add the lentils, dried thyme, dried rosemary, salt, and pepper. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until the vegetables and lentils are tender.
6. Stir in the chopped green beans and cook for an additional 5-7 minutes, or until they are tender-crisp.
7. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed with more salt and pepper.
8. Ladle the hearty winter vegetable stew into bowls, garnish with chopped fresh parsley, and serve hot.
This stew is packed with nutritious winter vegetables and hearty lentils, making it a perfect warm and comforting dish for the colder months. Enjoy
You can follow carina at:
Rest & Reset webinars - follow us on facebook
Follow her journey on Facebook & Instagram:
Rest & Reset
Carina Kennedy was formerly a Nurse, now a Nutritional Therapist and Herbalist living in the west of Ireland. Her passion is food, health and teaching clients to gain control of their life with simple techniques.