Sciatica can be a real pain in the backside(literally)
I see many clients with sciatica. It’s easily recognizable, with the sharp pain that shoots down the leg, often one side.
The pain starts at the base of the spine, shoots across the back to the hip then down the leg. It can be excruciating and debilitating.
This pain is caused by the sciatic nerve being pinched, either by disc problems or tight muscles. When this nerve is pinched it sends nerve pain down the path of the nerve, in this case down the leg.
So what can you do:
• Cupping – cupping can help to release the impingement and relax the
muscle tightness in the area
• Diet – an anti-inflammatory, plant based, high in anti-oxidants, high in
magnesium, high in omega 3
• Supplements – B vitamins, high dose Vitamin C, Liopoic acid, Acetyl-L-
Carnitine, N-Acetyl cysteine, Krill oil
• Herbs – the herbs that I commonly use are turmeric, devils claw, mullein
root, skullcap, wild lettuce, willow bark, St. John’s wort. I choose herbs
according to the client. No one fits all.
• Water – make sure you are having the minimum 2L
• Exercise – stretching – yoga, Pilates, swimming
• Put a heat pad on the lumbar spine at night owing to bed. If the pain is
eased in the morning it is more likely muscular in nature, if not it is more
likely disc related
• Stretch the purify is – lie on your back, Brian the leg affected up, bring the
knee of the affected side to the other side of your body – eg left side, bring the left knee towards the right shoulder
The main thing with sciatica as with any other health issue is to treat the person and not the symptom.
If you need help with Sciatica, contact Carina for an appointment
To find out more, you can contact Carina at T -(087) 0978880,
E - firstname.lastname@example.org
W - www.itsanaturalchoice.com,
A - Lisnolan, Manulla, Castlebar, Co Mayo, F23 C922
Carina Kennedy was formerly a Nurse, now a Nutritional Therapist and Herbalist living in the west of Ireland. Her passion is food, health and teaching clients to gain control of their life with simple techniques.