Well one thing we have learnt is that drinking or injecting disinfectant or bleach into ourselves is not the answer to killing a virus, sorry Mr Trump!
But seriously, there are some lessons we need to acknowledge for us to bring them forward and reduce the severity of the long term damage form this virus and others like it..
This pandemic has highlighted a number of issues we can change simply to improve overall health of the population and strengthen our immunity.
We need to start by looking at why:
- We are in an era where statistically our children will have worse health than their parents for the first time.
- We have increasing numbers of chronic health issues
- We have an increasing population on longterm medications from younger ages.
- We have increasing numbers of health issues directly linked to poor nutrition in countries with an abundance of food
- We don't teach our children cooking and nutrition
- Our health model is not focussed on sustaining good health, but on disease control.
- We are not that healthy in general and there is so much we can do to rebalance that.
Previous pandemics often happened at times of poor hygiene, food shortage and population poverty. This time that was not the case, so what's the link?
There are a number of things that can have an adverse effect on our immune systems:
- poor hygiene
- food shortage - low nutrition
- population poverty - affects both of the above
- poor diet, highly processed diets, inflammatory diets - results in poor nutrition
- stressful lifestyle - burns up nutrients at an excelerated speed
So could our diets help us to turn this around?
Well it is definitely one part of it, and one that is not being talked about that much. Im really not seeing much out there at the moment on nutrition even though I know lots of information is being put out there by therapists like myself.
Now is the time to recognise the power we have in our own health. There is so much we can do while waiting for a vaccine or cure, that could realistically be a long way off. Those that are being affected worse in this pandemic are those with compromised immunity already. This show's that those with stronger immune responses are not being affected to severely, many with little to no symptoms. We should be focussing on this! this gives us a lot of useful information because there are lots of ways you can strengthen your immune response.
- diet we need to get back to basics - cook form fresh, use produce not products, lower alcohol and sugar consumption. We truly are what we eat, we cannot supplement a bad diet and we are seeing this if we look closely
- probiotics - gut health directly impacts immune strength, probiotics are something I use with a large number of clients as a basic.
- herbs - herbal medicines are one of my favourite tools in my toolkit. But do not use herbs as a way to suppress a symptoms or as a quick fix tool, they work best by bringing your body back to balance.
- lifestyle - slow down, its not a race! We are burning ourselves out trying to keep up and not enjoying our lives in the process. Re-evaluate what is important. Many will likely work form home as a result of this pandemic, so it is important to put an emphasis on social interaction, outdoor activities and human connection
- Stress management - no more burying those feelings. Stress that is pushed down, suppressed and ignored is one of the biggest contributing factors I see in ill health. You will burn through your nutrients as an expanetial rate this way.
A simple analogy is to compare your body to a car and your diet is the fuel that keeps the car working well or clogs it up if it's cheap. Stress is like making your car a racing car that just burns through that fuel and needs fixing more regularly till it no longer works or crashes.
Feed your body what it needs and it will serve you well, especially in times like these.
So simple lesson to take forward is to stop waiting for someone else to cure us and help our bodies fight the battle they were built for.
if you need help with your diet/health/herbal medicine - contact Carina.
Weight management plan - bodytype program
Have you tried the usual suspects when it comes to diets?
Have they worked for a while but then you just go back to old habits?
Did it work well for someone you know but you didn't get great results?
That's because we are all different and have different needs. I have been working with Bodytypes for over 10 years now with great results. The individual approach means you get the plan that will work best for you
A comprehensive healthy eating plan to help you regain control of your body.
Follow the plan for:
The plan includes:
Vegan in a Nutshell
A Vegan program, packed with great recipes, written by a Vegan Nutritional Therapist.
I share what works for me and my clients and take the guess work out of it
Set yourself up to succeed and start right, with support
This program includes:
30 day Detox
This 30 day Detox can help you feel like a new person by simply changing your diet for the next 30 days!
Detox the natural way.
This 30 day plan includes:
30 day detox
A natural detox to help bring your body back into balance, plenty of recipes, juices and meal plans. No gimmicks just healthy clean eating to help your body's own detoxification system work as it is meant to, remove the toxins and have you feeling great again!
Written by a Nurse, Nutritional Therapist, Naturopath and Herbalist.
Immune Support Program
Whether it's the Coronavirus or seasonal flu, the common cold or you keep acquiring infections one after the other.
This program is a nutritional program tailored to support your immune system.
30 day nutrition and juice program
30 days to stronger immune health
Your body has it's natural defences so help them work as well as they can
Carina Kennedy was formerly a Nurse, now a Nutritional Therapist and Herbalist living in the west of Ireland. Her passion is food, health and teaching clients to gain control of their life with simple techniques.